This project is read-only.

Feature activation/updrade sequence - what is the appropriate place for these routines?

Apr 22, 2013 at 3:37 AM
Hi team,

Thanks for an amazing tool. Works great.

However, I wonder about feature activation/upgrade. After solution is deployed, is there any way to setup features to be activated? Soft of list/tree of the features and target hosts (like farm, web app, particular site, web). The same question is actual for the feature upgrades.

I see it could be done via "CustomTargets.ps1" script with "AfterDeploy" function. So, just want to make sure you don't have any built-in subsystem" to address feature routines right now, do you?

Thanks!
Apr 22, 2013 at 8:10 AM
Edited Apr 22, 2013 at 4:45 PM
Thx for your feedback!

Yes, at the moment you can only define you feature activation steps in the CustomTargets.ps1
But you can use all of your environment specific variables you defined in the XML there.

What I usuallydo is to create a separate ps1. file for each development sprint and refer the deploy/rectact/upgrade functions in the CustomTargets.ps1.
This allows me to easily run only a part of the actions in case the target environment is already partly set up from a previous sprint.

In a next version it will be also possible to define all that through XML.
Bascially it will be possible to define a site structure in XML and say where which feature should be activated ind which order.

This will help a lot to quickly deploy and tear down test content.

Together with the already implemented functionality to retrieve XML configuration nodes from other XML files, it will help to define custom environments for each target/staging farm, but re-use parts like the structure definition where desired.

If you have any further ideas, feedback you are very welcome to discuss them with us :)

Cheers
Matthias
Apr 22, 2013 at 8:25 AM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.